Even before the coronavirus arrived in the UK, dental surgeries had the safest standards of cross infection control and decontamination outside of a hospital operating theatre.
However, coronavirus has meant we’ve had to improve our processes even further. Safety of patients and staff is the number one priority at Caversham Heights, as such, things will be a little different during this time. To view our patient Covid Processes and Procedures, please click here to download a pdf.
Here are the key changes that we’ve made in light of the Coronavirus. We are constantly reviewing and updating our procedures.
1. Patients will be asked not to attend if they have any coronavirus symptoms.
2. All patients will be asked to take their temperature at home if possible. If it’s 37.8 degrees or above, they will be asked not to attend.
3. Patients will be asked to wear masks or to cover their face when attending the practice.
4. Upon arrival our team will take the temperature of the patient at arms length (whilst wearing a mask) using a contactless infrared thermometer. If the temperature is 37.8 degrees or above they will be asked to rebook their appointment for another time.
5. All patients will be required to use the hand sanitiser as soon as entering the practice.
6. Unfortunately we’ve had to remove everything from the waiting room other than the chairs. There are no magazines, newspapers, toys or books. WiFi will still be available but please bring your own reading material and entertainment for young children.
7. We’re fortunate that we’re a small practice with a large waiting area. 4 patients will be the maximum number of patients permitted in the waiting area at any one time. The chairs have been positioned so that there is at least 2.5m between each chair. If more than 4 patients are in the waiting room, the next patient will be asked to wait in their car until there is space within the waiting room.
8. Patients are asked to use the hand sanitiser on entry and exit to the practice.
9. Patients will be asked to attend appointments on their own wherever possible. Parents will still be able to attend with their children.
10. We’ve installed a clear screen to separate reception from the waiting area. You can still see our receptionists and speak to them.
11. The water cooler will be unavailable at this time.
12. Payments can be made remotely if requested. Payments within the practice will be by card only, with the pinpad wiped between patients.
13. Additional cleaning rota’s have been established to ensure all surfaces, such as door handles, bathrooms, chairs etc. are wiped down with antibacterial wipes even more regularly than before.
14. We've had extractor fans fitted to the surgeries to dramatically increase ventilation within these rooms.
15. Our dental team will always be wearing masks and a visor during your treatment. For some treatments they may also be wearing additional PPE.
16. The patient bathroom is currently unavailable.
17. The dentists will use ‘rubber dam’ as a treatment technique more often as it’s proven to reduce aerosols.
18. All staff members will be temperature checked on arrival for work and must sign to say they are well and are showing no signs of coronavirus, nor is anyone from their household.
Coronavirus is a pandemic that has shaken the world, the dental industry was not immune.
With these additional changes in place we believe we have created an extremely safe environment for our patients and staff.
If you have any concerns about attending the practice in the wake of coronavirus, please contact our reception team.
Send us a message
Please call us on 0118 947 4848, or complete the contact form below to get in touch about anything from New Patient Enquiries to a change to your appointment.