Properly diagnosed, designed, and custom fabricated mouthguards (gumshields) are essential in the prevention of athletic oral/facial injuries.

A properly fitted mouthguard must be protective, comfortable, resilient, tear resistant, odourless, tasteless, not bulky, cause minimal interference to speaking and breathing, and have excellent retention, fit, and sufficient thickness in critical areas.

Dental injuries are the most common type of orofacial injury sustained during participation in sports. Teeth that are knocked out and not properly preserved or reimplanted may cost many thousands of pounds, hours in the dentist’s chair and the possible development of other dental problems such as periodontal disease in a lifetime.

Over 90% of the mouthguards worn are bought at sports shops. The other 10% are of the custom made variety diagnosed and designed by a health professional.

Unfortunately, the word “mouthguard” is universal, generic and includes the good, the bad and the ugly.

The advantages of custom made mouthguards are:

  • Precise adaptation.
  • Negligible deformation when worn for a period of time.
  • The ability to thicken any area as required as well as place any inserts that may be needed for additional wearer protection.

As health professionals, we highly recommend the custom made mouthguard, for the very best in oral/facial protection.

For more information regarding this treatment
Contact Us
Back to General Dentistry

Get in touch

Treatment - Caversham Heights Dental Practice

General Dentistry

Your dental wellbeing and happiness matters to us.

Learn More
Treatment - Caversham Heights Dental Practice

Cosmetic Dentistry

A safe and effective investment in your smile.

Learn More
Treatment - Caversham Heights Dental Practice

Dental Implants

Look great. Feel natural.

Learn More
Treatment - Caversham Heights Dental Practice

Facial Aesthetics

Wish to look fresher and more radiant?

Learn More

Follow Us On Instagram

Google rating
Google rating